Hello Friends! I’m excited to be team up with a few other Boston foodies (Simply Gourmet in Southie, Eat Live Blog, Champagne Thursday, and La Vie Jaime) to bring you #BostonPotluck. We’re each sharing recipes for healthy holiday meals during the month of December and we’re giving away some excellent cookbooks. Get ready for good food all around!
My healthy holiday recipe is one of my absolute favorites: Curried Millet with Butternut Squash. It’s filled with flavor, super simple to prepare, and makes delicious leftovers. Perfection!
- 1 cup millet
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1 squash (butternut and red kuri work well)
- 1 large red onion or 3 shallots
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbs. Bragg’s or soy sauce
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- ¼ cup currants
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop squash and onions or shallots into bite-sized pieces, toss with a drizzle of olive oil and roast at 415 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Toast millet in a dry pan over medium/high heat for 5 minutes stirring regularly, or until it begins to brown and smell toasty.
- Cook millet in water or broth for about 20 minutes, or until all the water/broth is gone.
- Mix remaining olive oil, Bragg’s, and curry powder.
- Combine cooked squash, millet, currants, and toss with curry dressing.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I often find that people are unfamiliar with millet, which is a bummer because it is so good! Hopefully if you’ve been reading One Beet for a while you’re tried millet before (maybe in my Curried Millet Cakes or Healing Miso Soup). Millet is an excellent whole grain that originates from Africa and is packed with B vitamins, which help the body handle stress (not that there is ever any stress around the holidays!). Like all whole grains, variety is key. You get different nutrients from different grains and it’s best to mix and match them in your diet. Definitely give this recipe a try and see what you think of adding millet to your diet!
And don’t forget the cookbook giveaway! Take a moment to like the social media pages for the gals in #BostonPotluck and enter your name into the raffle.
We’ll pick five random winners on January 11th and each winner gets to pick one cookbook from a huge selection of offerings. Fingers crossed it’s you!