Hi Friends — it’s been a while! I was blessed to welcome my daughter to the world in June and have enjoyed spending time with her over the past few months. She’s outstanding and there are lots of photos of her on my Instagram account if you want to check her out. She’s a cutie!
Now that she’s a bit more independent, I am getting back in the kitchen and working with clients again. It feels wonderful! One of my favorite recent kitchen creations is this pumpkin pie oatmeal. It is warm, nourishing, and perfect for chilly fall mornings.
- ⅓ cup whole rolled oats
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅔ cup coconut milk (or other milk of choice)
- 3 heaping tablespoons pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or more/less to taste)
- Optional: toasted pumpkin seeds or granola to sprinkle on top
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and cook over medium/low heat for 7 minutes, or until oatmeal has cooked through and absorbed most of the liquid. This finished product should be thick and soupy, not dry or gelatinous.
You can also make a double or triple batch of this oatmeal and then easily reheat it on busy mornings. This works well for people who struggle to make time for breakfasts during the work week. You might need to add a bit of extra coconut milk as you reheat the oatmeal to get the right consistency, but otherwise it will be perfectly delicious after sitting in the fridge for a few days.
I’ve written about oats before, but they are really such a nutritious whole foods breakfast. I love their versatility and often make them with different flavors and toppings depending on the season. This pumpkin pie oatmeal embodies fall in the best possible ways. Another fall favorite is apples sautéed in coconut oil and cinnamon on top of plain oatmeal. So good!
What are your favorite oatmeal toppings and combinations? Please share in the comments below!